They say money can’t buy happiness. And science has actually proved it. If you’re looking for ways to boost your happiness, Soothe is here to help. We’ve put together a list of tried-and-true ways to give yourself an extra dose of happiness every day. Try these 10 easy and (mostly) free habits for a happier, healthier life.
- Exercise. There’s just no substitute for a good sweat session. Regular exercise improves your physical health, and it also has huge happiness benefits. The good news is, you don’t need to spend hours at the gym to feel the difference. Just 20 minutes a day can improve your mood and make you a happier person.
- Get better sleep. As hard as it is, sleep is vital to your overall health. And it’s not just quantity. The quality of your sleep matters too. A good night’s rest is like an instant happiness boost! If you’re struggling with ways to get better sleep, try these 5 before-bed hacks for falling (and staying) asleep.
- Meditate. Hitting pause in your daily grind may seem difficult, but a few moments of peace may be just what you need. Because meditation teaches you to let go of negativity, it’s a powerful tool for leading a happier life. Use our guide to meditation basics to start your practice today.
- Smile – with your eyes. Yes, just the simple act of smiling can make you happier. Research has shown that a true smile, not a forced or faked one, can create a positive effect on your emotions. We’ve all forced a smile before, whether for a photo or to avoid hurting someone’s feelings. That won’t produce the same effect. For this happiness hack to work, the smile needs to reach your eyes!
- Practice self-care. When you’re busy, it’s easy to let your self-care routine go by the wayside. However, making time for you is important for living a happy life! Self-care comes in many forms. You can cook a healthy meal for yourself, get regular massages at home, set aside time for journaling, or anything that reaffirms your love for yourself. These small acts make a big difference in helping you live happier.
- Plan a trip (even if you’re not going anywhere). Travel may be on pause right now, but nothing lifts spirits quite like the idea of a super-relaxing vacation. According to research, planning the trip actually gives you more happiness than going on the trip! This secret happiness booster is both easy and fun. Oh, and once we can travel again, you should still take a few of these trips, too.
- Reorganize your space. A happy home is just a happier place. Fuel a sense of accomplishment by giving your living space a makeover. A clean, organized room is instantly refreshing and makes you happier. While you’re Mari Kondo-ing your home, don’t just trash your old things. Remember to recycle, repurpose, or donate as much as possible to make the Earth happy, too.
- Show gratitude. Gratitude is a powerful tool in living a happier life. Being thankful for even the little things around us helps us feel more present and connected. A regular gratitude practice is a surefire way to keep the happiness warm-fuzzies going. Check out our tips for showing gratitude and living happier.
- Laughter is the best medicine. Nothing says “I’m happy” like a good laugh. Especially when things get stressful, being able to laugh encourages happier feelings. Try watching standup comedy, putting on a funny movie you love, or just reciting jokes and puns. Double your happiness boost by calling a friend and laughing over inside jokes. Anything that makes you smile and laugh will do the trick!
- Be open to new things. Change is scary, and often anxiety-inducing. But closing yourself off to new experiences could actually hinder your happiness. Being open to change and new experiences helps motivate you. Plus, when you look back you’ll see how far you’ve come! While you should never do anything that makes you uncomfortable, being open to trying new things can be a gateway to a happier life.
Since August is National Wellness Month, now is the perfect time to rethink your habits, and take steps to a healthier, happier life. We encourage you to try some of these happiness-boosting tactics and see how they make you feel. Bonus points if you make it a regular habit!