October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
At Soothe, we’re on a mission to bring wellness to the world. Because October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we wanted to hit pause on our usual content and provide some useful resources, facts, and inspiration for anyone looking to get involved.
By the numbers
- According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, 1 in 8 women in the US will develop breast cancer in her lifetime.
- The survival rate for breast cancer is 99% when diagnosed in the localized state (approximately 64% of cases). This means the cancer has not yet spread outside the breast.
- There are more than 3.5 million breast cancer survivors in the US
- According to the World Health Organization, breast cancer is one of the most common cancers in women worldwide.
- Both women and men can develop breast cancer.
While there is no way to prevent breast cancer, living a healthy lifestyle keeps your immune system in fighting condition. Maintaining a healthy weight through diet and regular exercise, and limiting alcohol consumption will promote overall wellness and help keep diseases like cancer at bay. You also shouldn’t smoke or use tobacco products. The World Health Organization says that tobacco use is “the single greatest avoidable risk factor for cancer mortality and kills more than 8 million people each year, from cancer and other diseases.” Stress can weaken your immune system. Therefore, mental health is equally important in maintaining a healthy, balanced lifestyle.