Your complete guide to Valentine’s Day planning and ideas for every type of celebration.
When planning Valentine’s Day, most people have trouble thinking beyond the basic fancy dinner date. But did you know Valentine’s Day can celebrate everyone you love? That’s right, this day is not just for couples! However, Valentine’s Day 2022 may look a little different. Whether you’re looking to avoid large crowds, are spending the day far from your loved ones, or just want to try something different, we’ve got you covered. Here are our tips and tricks to successfully plan Valentine’s Day dates and celebrations in 2022.
Virtual Valentine’s Day planning ideas
Going digital for dating is nothing new, especially since the pandemic started. But more companies and businesses are getting in on the virtual Valentine’s Day trend! There are plenty of reasons to go virtual for Valentine’s Day. Online options are great for long-distance relationships and celebrating with friends and family that live far away. Plus, with many restrictions on travel and gatherings still in effect, digital date nights offer a safe way to share the love. Check out our virtual Valentine’s Day ideas and planning tips!
- For the LDR: Don’t let long distances get you down. Yes, you can still have a romantic night together. Try this spin on dinner and a movie! First, order food delivery from your favorite restaurants. Then, you can set up a video call and eat together. Make sure you both treat it as a true date night: dress up a little and set the table nicely. After dinner, you can both stream a movie together! Many popular streaming services like Netflix offer a shared streaming experience so nobody misses a moment.
- Celebrate with friends: Get together with your favorite couples and host a virtual couple’s game night. Online sites make it easy to host and play a variety of different games no matter where you and your friends are located. And you can all feel the love without even leaving your respective living rooms.
- With the girls: Send all your galentines a virtual wine tasting kit. Sample different varietals with the help of a virtual wine expert. Then, score extra points with a DIY snack and charcuterie board contest.
- For the family: Now you don’t even need to travel to experience some of the most amazing places on earth! Many popular museums around the world, national parks, and even Disney World offer virtual tours and videos suitable for a fun Valentine’s Day activity for all ages.
- Do good in the name of love: Want something a little different? Many non-profit organizations have ways to volunteer and give back virtually! Take time this Valentine’s Day to do some good, and get a little gratitude boost, too.
At-home Valentine’s Day planning guide
If you’re in charge of planning Valentine’s Day, don’t stress! We have all the tips and date night ideas for couples to make planning easier than ever. Many couples are choosing to keep Valentine’s Day 2022 low-key this year. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be romantic! Try one of these at-home Valentine’s Day ideas for couples.
Cook up something delicious, together
Skip the crowded restaurants and long wait times this year. Instead, book an online cooking class or baking workshop! This activity is a fun way to spend time together, learn something new, and makes for a more memorable Valentine’s Day dinner. Not into cooking? Order in and try a cocktail mixology class or wine tasting instead!
- Make sure you shop for all your ingredients ahead of time, and have the necessary equipment.
- Also, play to your strengths! If you’re an avid cook, you can go for something a little more ambitious. But if you’re a beginner in the kitchen, we don’t recommend attempting a souffle!
- Ambiance is everything. Break out the tablecloth and the fancy cutlery. Set the mood with candles and music that matches the cuisine you’re cooking up.
Plan an epic game night
Get your competitive side ready! It’s time to plan a Valentine’s Day game night. An alternative to classic date night ideas, game nights are easy to plan and surprisingly fun! Got kids at home? They can easily join in the fun, too. Plus, you don’t even need electricity to make this date night epic. Dig out your old board games, borrow from friends, or buy a new game to try.
- Have at least 3 different games to play. To choose the best games, they should be easy to learn (if you don’t already know how to play), and work with two players. Games that take a long time, like Monopoly, may not be the best option if you’re looking to get to all of your games in one night.
- Keep score! Make it a friendly competition to see who can win the most rounds. Go the extra mile and make funny or romantic prizes for the winner of each round.
- Don’t forget the snacks! No game night is complete without your favorite nostalgic snacks close at hand.
Bring the spa to you
Nothing says romance like a day spent in the pure bliss of a spa! But expensive treatments, dealing with traffic, and one of the busiest spa days of the year can easily fizzle any romance. This Valentine’s Day, why not bring the spa to you! WIth on-demand couples massages and facial treatments, Soothe helps you create an amazing spa-quality experience for you and your S.O. without even leaving the house.
- Schedule in advance. Valentine’s Day is one of the busiest times for Soothe, so booking early helps ensure you get matched with an available massage therapist or provider. We recommend booking at least a week in advance!
- Create a relaxing space in your home. Before the date, clear any clutter, and make your home feel clean and fresh. This will help you maintain ultimate relaxation.
- Remove distractions during your treatments. For the best results and most romance, put away the phones and laptops, and focus on each other!
- Go the extra mile with fluffy robes, aromatherapy candles, and infused water or tea. Soothe Providers bring everything needed to create an amazing experience during your treatment, but don’t forget about the before and after!
Common Valentine’s Day planning mistakes to avoid
A lot can go wrong when planning Valentine’s Day. And the last thing you want is to have all your romantic gestures fall flat! To help make Valentine’s Day planning go smoother, follow our advice above, and don’t make these common Valentine’s Day mistakes. By avoiding these common pitfalls, you’re sure to have an epic date night!
- Waiting until the last minute. February 14 is a popular day for many people to go out to restaurants and do fun activities. But that means that reservations fill up fast! Avoid this common mistake by planning ahead, and making any reservations well in advance.
- Planning without considering your date. You should always plan Valentine’s Day with the other person in mind. If your date doesn’t drink, maybe a bar isn’t the best spot to meet up. Similarly, if you know your S.O. isn’t into rom-coms, a different movie genre is a must. Not sure what they like? Now’s a good time to ask – before you plan a date they’ll hate.
- Going over budget. It’s easy to drop big money on Valentine’s Day gifts. But sometimes, quality over quantity actually makes for a more meaningful date! You don’t need to spend a ton to have an amazing day with your loved ones.
- Trying to cram too much into one day. The last thing you want is to be stressed about making your next reservation! Over-planning is a classic Valentine’s Day mistake to avoid. At best, we recommend having 2-3 things planned for the day. You can always have a backup just in case something goes amiss, but the goal is to relax – not stress!
- Showing up empty-handed. You don’t need to make a big show of gifting, but you also can’t show up with nothing for your S.O.! The go-to gifts are usually flowers and chocolate. But if you want to really surprise them, give them a gift card for a professional massage this Valentine’s Day! Soothe makes gifting easy and fast with email delivery, and they’re sure to remember it as one of the best gifts they’ve ever received on Valentine’s Day.