When perusing the health food aisles at the grocery store, you’ve probably seen the small bottles of brightly-colored wellness shots. Many of these juice shots make some pretty big health claims that aren’t necessarily backed by science. And at $5-8 a pop, they can get pricey. Wellness shots aren’t a cure-all, but they are a fun way to give yourself an extra dose of fruits and veggies. Skip the costly store-bought stuff, and try these DIY wellness shots you can make at home — no juicer required! Here’s what you’ll need:
- High-powered blender so you can blend up all the ingredients
- Mesh strainer to separate any leftover pulp
- Wide-mouthed jar to strain your wellness shot into
The OG Cold-Buster Shot
This apple cider vinegar-based wellness drink one you’ve probably seen before, but have you tried it? Apple cider vinegar has been the talk of the wellness community for a few years now. While not all the claims are true, this ACV cold-busting recipe is a favorite for a few reasons.
- Honey acts as a natural sweetener and naturally soothes sore and scratchy throats.
- Fresh-squeezed lemon juice has tons of vitamin C to help fend off the cold virus.
- ACV balances your body’s pH, and has natural prebiotics for gut health.
- Garlic. Yes, we said garlic. While you may balk at adding this pungent bulb to a drink, garlic is actually pretty great at relieving congestion. Plus, garlic has a powerhouse of immune-boosting properties.
The Beet It Wellness Shot
Beets offer excellent health benefits, and make for a really aesthetically pleasing wellness shot! This beautiful, bright pink root vegetable can help lower blood pressure and improve cardiovascular health. Paired with blood oranges for sweetness and a blast of vitamin C, plus spicy immune-boosting ginger, this DIY wellness shot is a great way to kickstart your mornings. If you don’t have blood oranges on hand, any type of orange will work!
The 2-Ingredient Detox Shot
Yes, this DIY wellness shot just has two simple ingredients. But don’t be fooled, this one is intense! Made with fresh lemon juice and ginger, it’s a quick, simple shot with a myriad of health benefits.
- Ginger is a powerful and ancient herbal remedy. The spicy root has been proven to reduce nausea, improve cardiovascular health, and has an impressive antioxidant profile.
- Lemon juice contains a high concentration of vitamin C and potassium, plus the acidic juice aids digestion by breaking down food in your stomach.
- If you want to kick it up a notch, try adding cayenne pepper and coconut water
The Daily Greens Wellness Shot
Sometimes it’s hard to work greens into every meal. That’s where this powerful, 3-ingredient wellness shot comes in. If you’re struggling to get enough green veggies into your daily diet, try blending up this tasty wellness shot. With just three ingredients, it’s a super-simple juice that comes together quickly.
While the recipe calls for a juicer, you can easily make this in a high-powered blender and strain the juice! Throw in a few handfuls of rinsed spinach, a chopped green apple (for a tangy sweetness!), and some fresh-squeezed lemon juice. This antioxidant-packed wellness shot is an easy way to get your daily greens!
The Good as Gold Shot
Pro tip: don’t wear white while making this DIY wellness shot. Combine the powerful anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric and super-hydrating coconut water, and you’ve got this golden, earthy drink. Let’s take a closer look at some of the benefits of this powerful combination.
- Turmeric’s benefits come from unique compounds called curcuminoids. Turmeric has proven to have a positive effect on those suffering from diseases including Type 2 diabetes, cancer, and inflammatory bowel disease. This golden root also comes in powder form, and is a common ingredient in Indian cooking. But handle with care — turmeric is known to stain!
- Coconut water has naturally occurring electrolytes and a high dose of potassium. This makes it a great way to boost your hydration, especially after a workout.
- The wellness shot recipe also has lemon juice for vitamin C, spicy fresh ginger root, and honey for sweetness.
Remember, these wellness shots can be intense, so it’s best to start with just one every few days to gauge how they make you feel. Experiment with different flavors and ingredients to see what works best for you. Wellness shots are a fun way to add more fruits and veggies into your diet! But you still need to eat the whole stuff, too.